Friday 1 October 2010

My Family At War



Like most families in this country, a good number of my ancestors have served in the armed forces. Find My Past sent me an email the other day to advertise the fact that they had added more records from the WO97 series. After a couple of quick searches I turned up the records for Josiah Mead from (H)Ickleford, one of my distant uncles.

Downloading the images was the easy part. Some of the handwriting is very difficult to read (even worse than mine!) and he served in the early part of the C19th, not in the Napoleonic wars but in the East Indies and later in Ireland, an area of military history that I know nothing about.

Once I can work out what the records say, finding out where his regiment served in detail should be fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment