Thursday 15 May 2014

Victor John Mead - Early Life

A few weeks ago I was contacted by Colin from Ickleford who had come across this blog (one of a select few!) whilst researching the names that appear on the Ickleford First World War memorial. He is looking to put together a commemoration to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War.
I wrote a post about my Grand Uncle, Victor John Mead and way back then had promised to complete his story. Inspired by Colin's phone call, this is, I promise, the first of several posts which tell his story.


Victor John Mead, known as John, was born on 27th May 1897 in Ickleford. When I first saw the photo below, I had no idea who was in it until I asked my parents, who told me it included my Great Uncle and my Grandfather. I wonder how many others in the photo fought in the First World War?


The enlargement below shows my Great Uncle on the left, and my Grandfather Denys on the right. My Grandfather also fought in the First World War, but despite being injured twice he survived



The census entry below shows the family living in Ickleford in 1911.


We think the picture below shows the family home. The Cottage is next to the Cricketers pub.


My next post will cover Victor's enlistment and his service in the First World War.

No comments:

Post a Comment